Monday, January 31, 2011

A BIG Improvement

So basketball this week with Savanna went MUCH, MUCH better! (I won't mention that her uniform was not in her weekend bag....and I had to call the YMCA to beg for another jersey to be left at the front desk for us AND that Savanna and I had to go to Academy at 7:00pm on Friday night to get gym shorts and socks...I won't go there)!! Basketball was just better!



JC was out of town, flying the red-eye from California and Savanna's mom told us she couldn't make it to the game, so it was just me and Savanna. We had made a deal the night before that if she did not cry, I would take her to Toys R Us to pick out a toy. I am usually opposed to rewarding kids for something they should "just do" but sometimes an intervention is needed! And since playing basketball was not Savanna's idea, I had to step in to encourage some participation. Please refer to last week's game for clarification!

The only request I made was "Please do not cry!" Well....to my surprise, Savanna did even better than that. She played, she ran, she smiled...she seemed to have a really good time!

There were a few extra things I did to help her feel confident. For one, we got to the YMCA early! It has been my experience (last basketball game) that Savanna's mom is typically late to everything. That's fine when it's just you....but little people can't take the pressure of rushing. Especially when she is already unsure of what she is about to do. So, Savanna and I got there early...we were the second people in the gym. It was quiet and she had time to "warm-up!" Not physically, but you know what I mean.



I also kept making eye contact with her and giving her a thumbs up! She did great. She even got to come over and see me during half-time and then she walked right back to the coach! It was GREAT!!! All of the parents came up to me after the game to say how good she had done! I was proud and so was she. I really felt like her parent in that moment....I was the one in charge and her and I seemed to have everything under control!!


I could not wait to tell her daddy and she couldn't either. We went to the airport and picked him up...after we went a got a toy!

This coming up weekend we do not have Savanna...she will be with her mom! But I am going to her GAME...and I will be early...waiting for Savanna! I hope and pray that she does good again when everyone is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment