Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Music to my Ears!!!

The students I work with are tough!! High school students seem to hover over the edge of dropping out or staying in school. Of course I care for all of my students and I want them to be successful, but occasionally, there are some students that I find it very hard to care about! I do what I can but when their thuggish attitude gets in my way every day....I'm OVER it!!!

BUT...today I didn't feel any of that! I met a lady yesterday who supervises one of my working students. We were having a discussion about that student and everything this lady told me just put things into a clear perspective. She told me that everyone has a story...we all have some awful, miserable, everyone should feel sorry for me story! But what she said is SO WHAT! You might have a sad story, but look at the life you have this very minute...the people you are surrounded by are here to help you. We were referencing my one student, but that story seemed to apply to me and everyone else!

So...I was so happy today when another one of my students (who has missed weeks upon weeks of school) showed up today and said, "Dr. Smith, I need to talk to you about my grades because I need to see if I can survive....if I have a chance to finish school." Sigh......how to you compete with those words. He continued..."I am back on my medicine and things were bad at home for a while but now they are better and I just need to see if I can survive." Sigh....I was so taken back...I just thanked God for that moment!

So the moral....we all have a story, but what we do in the present really is the future we choose for ourselves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment