Friday, November 20, 2009

SHOW US YOUR PETS

Show Us Your Life...PETS
”Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner”


Let me say....like everyone else who has posted something about their pet....I LOVE this dog. We both met up when we needed each other.
I had been taking care of my brother's White Shepard (80lbs, all white) Ruger, for a few years and he ended up having behavioral issues that I could not help (the dog not my brother). I tried everything including training school, medication, shock collar....all of it. Nothing worked. He would attack my mom and my brother. I know....why did we keep him for two years? You see, my major is special education and we are big believers in behavior modification. But nothing worked. So one day (after he turned on me) mom and I took him to get "his shots" but decided to leave him there to be put to sleep. That day tops the list as one of my hardest days ever!!! Mom rushed home and put all of his toys away to help keep me from being so sad. After a few days it got a little easier. I still have his collar.

BUT THEN ONE DAY....when I was teaching, a lady brought in this little shaved dog with the dirtiest eyes I had ever seen. But he was immediately interested in me. I sat on the floor in her classroom and he just came right to me and stayed. He had been to several families and just never clicked with any of them. Soooo....I brought him home. I was living with my mom at the time and she thought I was crazy. I was so sad because she didn't even seem interested in him. She said, "It's not that I don't like him, I just don't know him." Needless to say....he has become on of the greatest pets ever. Oh how I love him!! When I got him his name was "Gabby" so to avoid making him feel like a girl, we renamed him Gabriel and we call him "Gabe." He has been my angel.
I moved away to Auburn for 3.5 years to earn my doctorate degree...and look who wanted to go!


And yes I feed him table food. He usually waits patiently for his prize. On this day....yogurt!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, he is just SO cute! What a sweet story too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! I came across your blog from Kelly's corner. We just got a bichon and we love her. I have a question, if you don't mind and have time, I have heard (and read) that bichons are very hard to house break, is this true? Our Bella is only three months and is not house broken yet - any advice?

    I noticed you mentioned going to Auburn, we are from Birmingham, now live in Texas (trying to get used to TX)

    Thanks for sharing your story about your pup, sorry about your other dog, I think you did the right thing.

    Kelley
    http://tutusandchoochoos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete