Monday, July 26, 2010

Engaged Encounter Weekend

In order to get married in the Catholic Church, couples are required to attend a weekend retreat aimed at improving their relationship, addressing topics they may have not discussed yet, and finding a way to include God in their relationship.

All I can say is WOW!!!

I will say that the accommodations were not very pleasant. We stayed at the Visitation Monastery in Mobile so we were without many of the everyday "distractions." We slept in twin beds...girls and guys in separate halls....used community showers and bathrooms, had nearly no air conditioning...just really "sacrificial" living!! I had a roommate but JC didn't (I know he was so happy)!! My roommate actually turned out to be someone I knew...Brittany is the sister of Mary...my step sister-in-law!! Funny connection but it was nice to be with someone I knew and got to know better!! In fact I think the entire hall got to know us better as we found out they heard us talking until about 3:00 AM. Oh well!!!

Brittany and her fiance, RonAlso I will say...the days were long and repetitive....a lot of listening, writing, talking, praying!!! It was a long weekend no doubt!!!

BUT.....



The feeling I am left with today is a feeling that I wish I could bottle up for another time. A time when days are gloomy and we forget to keep God in our relationship! I won't share too many details of what we discussed, learned, and shared because that is for us only! But I know that this was a very powerful and needed weekend in our lives. Both of us remained open to whatever the team leaders asked of us and I think we were successful! This weekend we were constantly reminded of the love we have for each other...the way we first felt when we met and the things that we admire about each other. The way we feel when there are no.....wedding plans, work issues, family or friend outings...just US in that moment!! Awesome!

I know that we have had some serious prayers being said for us this weekend and we even received a prayer letter from another couple. Later we wrote a prayer letter for another couple yet to attend. This weekend, my eyes have been opened to God's amazing work! The work that we get too busy to see or to prideful to pray for...!!After this weekend, I have thought about seeking out other couple retreats after we are married....it is nice to have affirmation of the love we know we both feel for each other but sometimes forget when life steps in!!

Brittany and Ron enjoying one of our fabulous (or not so much) meals!!


The grounds of the Monastery were beautiful so of course my man and Brittany's had to endure some photo shoots!!

Dear JC,
Among all other things....thank you for taking pictures. I know this gets very annoying to you...but because you know I love it so much...you cooperate!!! Thank you!

Did I mention that we were not alone....quite a few other couples!!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED our engaged encounter weekend- we went to mobile for ours also! I kept all of our material incase we needed a reminder sometime :)

    ReplyDelete